Re: Does SRM care what IDE optical drive it sees?

Bob,

I've had several "Miata" machines, from both series.  They are indeed
sensitive to what is on the IDE channel. At the same time, if "show config"
prints out the drive, SRM is doing its job. I think the flaw is probably in
the controller chip. In general, what works best on those machines
 is the original Toshiba 24X CDrom drive. I've had issues with the Red Hat 7.x
distros, which were supposedly pressed CDs rather than burned.  Those, I was
able to install by swapping out the Toshiba for an old Creative 8X drive.
Other times a SCSI CDrom worked best.  You could try swapping out for the CDRW
once your install is complete;it will probably work in software.

I'm using an XP1000 now, and it does quite well in SRM with CDRW and even
DVD-R drives.

jn