Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

Rene Herman wrote:
On 23-03-08 11:40, Michael Cree wrote:

I have been able to run some tests.

The es18xx and cmipci drivers work fine on the XP1000. I base that observation on using a variety of software, such as mplayer and mocp, through both sound cards, mainly through oss, but also have tried alsa, over the last year for es18xx and for the last three or four months for cmipci. (I have noted that the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card with the ice1724 driver fails to work and causes system crashes on the XP1000,
but that's a different discussion).

Was there ever a follow-up in that thread? :

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-March/006513.html

Takashi replied with a suggestion to disable MMAP in the ice1724 driver. I have been preoccupied with other things for the last couple of weeks so haven't had a chance to try it out.

There's a patch attached that disables mmap on MIATA. You and Bob seem to be experiencing problems of a different nature (or severity at the least) but for both of you it would be good to hear what applying this and then playing using "aplay -D hw foo.wav" (on the miata systems, ofcourse) brings.

I have applied the patch to the PWS600au. Sound now works. I can play 8bit and 16bit sound files through the es1887 and the C-Media CM8738. They are both working fine. I managed to get a 32bit sound file to play through the M-Audio Revolution too. (Though another 32bit sound file just produces silence through the M-Audio Rev. Haven't been able to establish why - the file looks fine to me.) Repeated playing of files doesn't cause any problems.

I can't get sox's play to work (reports no mmap support, which is, of course, quite true). I don't know how to tell sox to use the equivalent of alsa's hw device. So I can't do the test on short files that Bob was performing.

At this stage I've run out of time to test the M-Audio Rev in the XP1000 and see if the MMAP disable patch help there.

Michael.