Re: automount thru winscp

Hi,

Luca Ferrari wrote:
Hi,
I've got a linux server with samba shares behind a firewall. Since my users want to see their shares from the outside network, I thought to dynamically mount shares on the firewall (using, for example, automount) providing access thru winscp, that has a quite windows like look & feel. The problem is that I cannot understand when the user connects, that means automount does not work with a winscp session, and that I cannot mount shares thru the ~/.bash_profile script, since it is not executed (maybe .profile is executed?). Any idea on how to solve the problem?

Allowing external sFTP connections for normal users to your firewall box
is not a good idea with regard to security, but if that is what you
want.  As far as I know, your SHELL is used to execute the sftp-server
process once you have authenticated via the ssh daemon (using OpenSSH
which is all I have experience of).  So you just need to work out which
of the numerous shell initialization scripts is actually read.  On our
systems with SHELL as bash, the ~/.bashrc is read so you could put the
smbmount commands in there.

I just tried doing this myself and it works ok.  One thing I had to do
was export PASSWD=mypassword before the smbmount command.  Very
insecure, but perhaps you have your shares/authentication configured to
do it without this step.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks,