Re: graphic chars, set-font and sed

Hi Luca,

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 10:25, Luca Ferrari <LF> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a few problem with semigraphic chars (those used tipically in dos
> or in ncurses applications) under linux. Firs of all, if I use the setfont
> command on a tty I can see files with the above characters listed well, but
> I cannot do this on pseudo-tty (like those opened thru telnet or ssh). Any
> trick for this? Second, I've noticed that sed regular expressions get
> confused by the presence of multiple semigraphic chars, while a single one
> seems to work ok. Does anybody knows a way to "escape" those chars, in
> order to make them understandable to sed and other programs?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

These fonts usually get set on the local side. I.e. if you telnet or SSH into
your machine, the font used is the font on your LOCAL side, not the one on
your machine. Presuming that you come in from another linux box, issue the
setfont command before you telnet/ssh over to your box.

If you use an X terminal (or windows telnet/SSH client) it is usually the same
thing, except that with these you usually use the GUI to change the terminal
font (which really is a X font in this case).

Can't help with the regex question though, sorry.

-