Re: CANADA Slacko Puppy Linux - Linux 3.4.52 [ i686 arch ] kernel

Please pardon my intrusion into this thread. It's been so long since I used an
actual modem that I've forgotten most of what I used to know. But I do know
something about Puppy linux...

It would appear that on Mar 16, Pierre Dagenais did say:

> slmodemd is at /usr/sbin/
>
> I've discovered that if I start Slacko from the cd without importing any
> slacko_save file, wvdial works as expected. For instance, I can
> disconnect and reconnect as much as I like. If I then save my
> configuration to slacko_save.4fs and reboot the computer with the old
> configuration the modem stops working. In wvdial I get 'modem busy'.

The thing I noticed is you said reboot "WITH THE OLD CONFIGURATION"

Key word "old"... Do you mean your rebooting using the "old" save file with all your
customization's that your used to using. Or are you rebooting with the "new"
slacko_save that you just made???

If it's the old slacko_save file, try rebooting using the new one that you
just saved when the modem was working. If the modem works with "THAT" slacko_save
then the problem is with something in the "old" configuration.

In which case, you need to either solve the modem problem while using the old
configuration. {sorry but I can't help with that}

OR, the other choice it to start using the new slacko_save file... You can
redo the changes you made to it until it feels like the old config. That
is install any software packages, modify your keyboard shortcuts, change
your wallpaper, etc... ALL over again. {testing as you go that the last
change didn't break your modem access...} It might be a good idea to
occasionally back-up the slacko_save every now and then during the
process, so that if it's something you installed, or some personal
configuration that stopped the "OLD" slacko_save from using the modem,
You can just restore the slacko_save made just prior to the loss of modem
function...

> Also picocom (similar to minicom) will not work if wvdial doesn't.
> What I understand is that something gets saved or something doesn't get
> saved when I reboot. I've checked wvdial.conf before and after with the
> diff command and they are both the same. So the problem has to be
> somewhere else.
> Have you any idea what I should look at?

Just a thought.