Re: Help me with installation Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem (rev 04)

Gaetano,

scanModem reports that your modem is supported throught slamr+ungrabwinmodem.

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 01:02.0:
Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=1057:3052
SUBSYS=1057:3020
IRQ=17
IDENT=slamr

 For candidate modem in:  01:02.0
   0703 Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem
      Primary device ID:  1057:3052
 Support type needed or chipset: slamr

 1057:3052 has a Motorola chipset, poorly supported by Motorola itself
 However Zello discovered that drivers written to support Smartlink
modems do support the 1057:3052 chipset!!
 It sufficed to add 1057:3052 to the list of modem cards recognized by
the Smartlink slamr driver.
 There is a ungrab-winmodem driver used in conjunction with slamr,
which must have 1057:3052
 similarly added. See messages from Zello:
  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00846.html
  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00848.html
 and Alvaro Aguirre about the ungrab-winmodem fix:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00990.html
 For general guidance on ungrab-winmodem + slamr usage, read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt

The modem is supported by the Smartlink
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

For 3.5.0-34-generic compiling drivers is necessary. As of October
2007 the current packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/  are the
ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and slmodem-2.9.11-20080126.tar.gz

Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt
============ end Smartlink section =====================

follow the advice provided here:

 For general guidance on ungrab-winmodem + slamr usage, read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt

The modem is supported by the Smartlink
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

I can't remember the commands but you could look for a package
sl-modem-source and apt-get it and it will configure things for you.

For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

  But you need to block the slmodemd+alsa components as they may get
in the way :

 There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe*  files

 Potentially useful modem drivers now loaded are:
  snd_atiixp_modem snd_via82xx_modem snd_intel8x0m   snd_hda_intel

Hopefully Marv can send you the proper command to get the
sl-modem-source deb installed easily.

Best Regards,

Antonio