RE: Onay, Cuba, kernel 3.8.0-19-generic

Hi Marvin, thanks for the help, this is the results of what you suggested

I tried
$ sudo dkms Status
the result was this:
sl-modem, 2.9.11~20110321: added

Then I manually unloaded the conflicting drivers with:
$ sudo modprobe -r  snd_atiixp_modem
$ sudo modprobe -r  snd_via82xx_modem
$ sudo modprobe -r  snd_intel8x0m
There was no error output.

Then:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

The output was this:
Shutting down SmartLink Modem driver normally ... no slmodemd daemon running.
Unloading modem driver from kernel ... none found.
Starting SmartLink Modem driver for: auto.
Creating /dev/modem symlink, pointing to: /dev/ttySL0.

Then I tried:
$ ls- l /dev/ttySL0
The result was this:
ls: cannot access /dev/ttySL0: No such file or directory

Then I tried:
$ sudo wvdialconf
And the result was:

Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0   S1   S2   S3   S4   S5   S6   S7
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S8   S9   S10  S11  S12  S13  S14  S15
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S16  S17  S18  S19  S20  S21  S22  S23
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S24  S25  S26  S27  S28  S29  S30  S31
Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

The modem still doesn't work :(