FW: Problem installing Agere Systems Lucent V.92 Data/Fax Modem in Ubuntu Natty

Thanks Marvin.  I understood that that drivers needed to be manually loaded, but nothing I could do would even make the card be found at boot time.

I switched to using the CSI M1-5614PM3 which is an HCF Modem and I was able to get it successfully installed using http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/archive/hcfpcimodem-1.21full/hcfpcimodem_1.21full_i386.deb.zip and after making the modifications to the source files described at http://www.spinics.net/lists/linmodem/msg12212.html, rebuilding the deb file and then installing

Thanks for the help

From: Marvin Stodolsky [mailto:marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:48 PM
To: Iain Lopata
Subject: RE: Problem installing Agere Systems Lucent V.92 Data/Fax Modem in Ubuntu Natty

You have to manually load the drivers.
On Nov 3, 2012 1:32 PM, "Iain Lopata" <ilopata1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Marvin,

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response.  Very helpful.

For some reason, on the next reboot the modem was not recognized at all (based on content of dmesg) and it cannot be detected by scanModem.  Nothing I have tried so far has resolved this -- and until I can, I unfortunately am not able to try the procedure that you outlined.  Hard to imagine, but perhaps I fried the card?

My plan is to try two other PCI modems I have lying around: a Conexant RD01-D850 and a CSI M1-5614PM3.  If neither of these work I will look to pick up an external RS-232 modem which sounds like it will be easier to work with, except for the physical clutter.

Iain