Re: Huawei E173 on FC17

RE: Hardware ID USB\VID_12D1&PID_140C,
on system  CPU=x86_64,  fedora ,  ALSA_version=1.0.24

This chip manufactuer 12D1, item 140C modem
is connected through a (presumably intermal) USB bridge.

The only possibility of it being serviceable under Linux is that it
may be compatible with the Linux Open Source USB modem drivers.
The wvdial/wvdialconf package seems to be installed on your System.
So try a test with as root/admin with:
# wvdialconf
to assess if the modem is detected.  Do first detach any non-essential
accessories, to minimize conflicts

However under Linux the only 12d1 device detected is:
 ID 12d1:1436 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
which would not seem to be the  140C modem.
So you may need to force hardware detection following the example of
--------
If a cellphone is not detected, see
A sample report is:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-nineth/msg00578.html