From: Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: Makefile for kernel 3.2.x build of martian-full-20100123 Package
To: j75080@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Discuss <Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

John,

The 3.n.n competent Makefile is:
-----------
KERNEL_DIR:=/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build

all:
        $(MAKE) -C kmodule/ modules
        $(MAKE) -C modem/ all

install:
        $(MAKE) -C kmodule/ install
        $(MAKE) -C modem/ install

clean:
        $(MAKE) -C kmodule/ clean
        $(MAKE) -C modem/ clean
---------
differing from the old Makefile by elimination of a few lines,
which were a 2.6.n kernel subversion constraint.
Just remember that the indents above are done using TAB
and not SPACEs

Additionally,  martian support is now part of the Debian/Ubuntu tree
and you may prefer that standard servicing
Just do:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install martian-modem martian-modem-source

The martian-modem package will install:  /usr/sbin/martian-helper
Check with:
$ martian_modem --help
This helper is kernel version independent, i.e. does not have to be
recompiled with each update.

The martian-modem-source package only installs automatically source
code for the driver as /usr/src/martian-modem.tar.bz2
Manually do:
$ cd /usr/src/
$ sudo tar jxf martian-modem.tar.bz2
$ cd modules/martian-modem/
See documentation info
$ ls
To compile
$ cd source
$ sudo make clean
$ sudo make
$ sudo  make install
All OK on my
$ uname -r
3.0.0-15-generic

To load:
$ sudo modprobe martian_dev

On my System the driver loads:
$ lsmod | grep martian_dev
martian_dev            26538  0
Though I can't further test without the modem hardware.

There is no reason why this source package should not be DKMS enabled,
to provide automatic driver compiles with kernel upgrades.  While I am
not the Debian package maintainer, I'll work DKMS  support through for
you & him.

MarvS