Multiple device files for multiple modems

Hello all.

I have a computer that I'm setting up as a fax server, and I've installed two
US Robotics PCI Express modems (they use the Agere Systems chip set) in it.

Both devices work fine separately.  The system recognizes them, creates the
device file and symbolic link.  setserial, wvdial, and minicom all work with
both of them.

The problem I have is that only one device file is created, so I cannot use
the two of them simultaneously.

I have searched the Internet, and especially the archives for this list to no
avail.  Apparently, no one ever installs two of these devices into the same
computer (or I don't know how to search, which is also entirely likely).

So, my question is, how do I get a second device file created, or create one
myself, that will allow the two modems to operate at the same time in the one
computer?

Thank you.

--
Jason Flatt