Re: jayant, india, mageia release1

Jayant,

latest scanModem confirms that your modem should be supported by
hsfmodem drivers from linuxant.

Visit:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php

agree and then download generic rpm

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full-1.i386.rpm.zip

also you may need to download alsa-package:

http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/archive/alsa-driver-linuxant-1.0.23.1/alsa-driver-linuxant-1.0.23.1-1.noarch.rpm.zip

but version could be different(alsa version), please hold on
installation of this one.

To install you may follow the instructions
<quote>
METHOD A: BINARY RPM PACKAGE (*.{arch}.rpm)
If you have obtained the driver package in RPM format:

1. install the rpm with "rpm -i hsfmodem-{version}.{arch}.rpm"

2. if necessary, run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation, enter
license information, or to change your modem's configuration.

If you need to rebuild the generic RPM from source, you can get the
TAR package and run: "rpmbuild -tb hsfmodem-{version}.tar.gz" (if
rpmbuild is not found, you might have to install the rpm-build package
or if you have an older RPM version, try "rpm --rebuild ..."). If you
want a pre-compiled package for the currently running kernel, you can
try "make rpmprecomp" in the top directory.
</quote>
as is directed here:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/install.php

You may need to download kernel headers as scanmodem recommends
<quote>
 linux-headers-2.6.38.7-desktop-1.mga resources needed for compiling
are not manifestly ready!

 If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
	 kernel-source-2.6.38.7-desktop-1.mga
</quote>

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW "
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=8086:2668
SUBSYS=104d:81cc
IRQ=41
HDA2=00:1b.0
SOFT=8086:2668.HDA
CodecDiagnosed=Conexant_
HDAchipVendorID=14f1
CHIP=0x14f12bfa
CodecClass=14f1
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

 For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW
      Primary device ID:  8086:2668
    Subsystem PCI_id  104d:81cc
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: Conexant_0x14f12bfa
                               from    Archives:
                        The HDA card softmodem chip is 0x14f12bfa

Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

Writing DOCs/Intel.txt

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Modem support packages from Linuxant include resources for compiling drivers.
If an installer package matching your kernel_version  is not provided,
just install a generic code package.

 Start at  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full for
 eventually download of a hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full_k.???.zip package
 with ??? the package type (deb, rpm, tar etc)
 These packages have compiled drivers but will also compile a driver,
 if there is a mismatch between the resident kernel and provided driver.
 The generic hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full.tar.gz package only provides
compiling support

Start at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php to find the
hsfmodem package matching your System. For several Linux distros, there are
precompiled drivers matched to specific kernels. These have within the FileName,
your KernelVersion:	2.6.38.7_desktop_1.mga
They can be found through
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
A more precise location may be given a few paragraphs below.
If an EXACT Match with your your KernelVersion is not found, one of the
"Generic packages with source" near the bottom of the page must be used.
Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder is OK)
and unzipped with:
	unzip hsf*.zip
The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
permission:
   dpkg -i hsf*.deb
while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
  rpm -i hsf*.rpm
 Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

NOTE:
Don't know if Linuxant has fixed an issue(compilation problem) with
their drivers regarding DEFINE_MUTEX, and other error.  Hope
Jonathan(Linuxant support) can provide details should errors occur
when trying to install the driver.

Regards,

Antonio