Gemany - openSUSE 11.4 "Celadon" - kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-default

Hello,

my Toshiba laptop Satellite Pro M10 running openSUSE 11.4 "Celadon" - kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-default with KDE4 has the following built-in PCI modem:

Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (PCI)

It used to work under openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 3 using slmodem in ALSA mode - but now under openSUSE 11.4 I cannot get it to work with slmodemd in ALSA mode (have installed the smartlink-softmodem-2.9.10-17.i586.rpm that is supposed to be suitable for openSUSE). The slmodemd command

slmodemd --country=GERMANY -a

leads to the following error:

ALSA lib conf.c:4630:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1 ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM modem:1 error: alsa setup: cannot open playback device 'modem:1': Invalid argumenterror: cannot setup device `modem:1'

The slmodemd command only appears to work when adding the option "hw:0" - but that turns out to be not the modem but the companion sound card - which is as follows:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/IC\
H4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device 0202 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at be00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at bdc0 [size=64]
Memory at fcdffe00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512] Memory at fcdffd00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH

The command lspci -n yields the following at 00:1f.5:
00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24c5 (rev 03)
(Again, that is for the companion sound card.)

The modules snd_intel8x0 (for the sound card) and snd_intel8x0m (for the modem) are loaded - also tried to unload and load again snd_intel8x0m after boot (with modprobe -r snd_intel8x0m, then modprobe snd_intel8x0m) without success (the sound driver snd_intel8x0 is always present and the sound works fine).

These two modules, together with slmodemd, worked perfectly fine for the modem under the previously installed openSUSE 11.0 (with snd_intel8x0 and snd_intel8x0m).

For some reason lspci only lists the sound device but not the modem (I think under previously installed openSUSE 11.0 the modem was listed under lspci). Modular support of the modem seems to be supported by the kernel, and in fact snd_intel8x0m can be loaded - both by hand, as stated above, and by the MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT option in /etc/sysconfig/kernel. Neither approach makes the modem functional (nor even listable by lspci). As recommended (in some FAQ), I changed the "hardware recognition" (or so) option of the BIOS (not Windows!) from "by operating system" to "all devices" (recognized/included by BIOS, I suppose) - no improvement.

The packages kernel-default, kernel-default-devel, kernel-devel, kernel-source, alsa, alsa-devel, alsa-firmware, alsa-oss, alsa-plugins, alsa-plugins-pulse, alsa-tools, alsa-tools-devel, alsa-tools-gui, alsa-utils are installed.

The output of scanModem is attached below.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Konni

-------------------------- System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,  Welcome ,  ALSA_version=1.0.23
Linux version 2.6.37.6-0.7-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch revision 167585] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP 2011-07-21 02:17:24 +020
0
 scanModem update of:  2011_08_08

/etc/lsb-release not found

The dkms driver upgrade utilities are installed,

There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe* files

 Potentially useful modem drivers now loaded are:
    snd_intel8x0m

Attached USB devices are:
ID 046d:c03e Logitech, Inc. Premium Optical Wheel Mouse (M-BT58) If a cellphone is not detected, see http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-
878554.html
A sample report is: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-nineth/msg0
0578.html

If a USB modem or cellphone is attached and was not detected, please provide available information in your request to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Candidate PCI devices with modem chips are:
High Definition Audio cards can host modem chips.

=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===

A candidate modem is not transparent among the PCI devices:
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 0
3)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH
4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go] (re
v a3)
02:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Cont
roller (PHY/Link)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet
 Controller (rev 83)
02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wirele
ss Network Adapter (rev 01)
02:0d.0 System peripheral: Toshiba America Info Systems SD TypA Controller (rev
03)
 with USB, bridge, and RAM devices not displayed.
If a High Definition Audio card is present, if might be hosted on the Subsystem.

If your modem is an
   external USB type,
   connected by an external serial cable,
   or mounted internally on an ISA card,
then scanModem would not access it.

Try with Root permission
 $  wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
 to detect these modem types and some USB modems.
If the detection is successful, read the DOCs/wvdial.txt .
 Edit the /etc/wvdial.conf with Root permission:
          gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
  will be able to dial out with Root permission:
         wvdial

Many modems for which scanModem fails have Conexant chips.
 From http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php
get the ListModem tool, which will report on Conexant chipset modems

If the above tests fail, please provide any independent information available o
n your modem.
If an alternative boot into Microsoft windows can be done, do mouse
clicks on:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Classical View (for Window XP) > System
Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Click on the + > Modem. Double click to
expand the graphic. Manufacturer information may be displayed. For example, CXT stands for Conexant. Click the Diagnostics Tab. Record any hardware ID or vendor and device information. From the Driver Details TAB, copy out the VENdor and DEV
ice information.
Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI specifications displayed such as:
    ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
    ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
Try to identify the modem setup file, with name perhaps MODEM.INF.
If may contain chipset Vendor informaton.

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.5.1 and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.5

Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
   make utility - /usr/bin/make
   Compiler version 4.5
linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.37.6-0.7-default/build

However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files, in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in /usr/i
nclude/ .
For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also required h
eaders of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages,
for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
In not included on your install CD, search for them at http://packages.ubuntu.c
om
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some FileName
.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include. The minim
al additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Checking pppd properties:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root dialout 343052 19. Feb 2011 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
        $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
         chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
         chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of:   /etc/ppp/options
noipdefault
noauth
crtscts
lock
local
asyncmap 0
nodetach
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
lcp-max-configure 60
lcp-restart 2
idle 600
noipx
file /etc/ppp/filters

In case of a message like:
Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

For guidance on FAX usage, get from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ g
et faxing.tar.gz
It has samples for a modem using port /dev/ttySL0, which must be changed to matc
h your modem's port.

Read Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble shooting be necessary.

 Checking for modem support lines:
 --------------------------------------
     /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/77-network.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="net", ENV{INTERFACE}=="lo*|dummy*
|vif*.*|br*|bond*|vlan*|gre*|sit*|tap*|tun*|ipip*|ip6tnl*|ipsec*|ppp*|ippp*|isdn
*|modem*|dsl*|plip*|irda*", GOTO="skip_ifup"
     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/00-system.conf:# Linux ACP modem (Mwave)
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------