Javier Spain (2.6.38-8-generic)

Hello:
Hi, I've just installed UBUNTU11.04 in my computer and I
wonder if my old 56k USB winmodem could work for dial-up connection to
the Internet.
I've been searching about this item in the internet,
but I couldn´t find any useful information for a newbie like me (my
computing skill is quite low). I tried dowloading and installing
dkms_2.1.1.2-5ubuntu1_all.deb,
sl-modem-source_2.9.11~20100718-4_i386.deb,
sl-modem-daemon_2.9.11~20100718-4_i386.deb and wvdial_1.61-2_i386.deb.
 slusb0 file is created under /dev but not a de/ttySL0 file and wvdial
doesn´t detect the modem, so some help would be appreciatted. Does the slusb driver work under the 2.6.38-8-generic kernel?
Thanks in advance
Javier

This is the scanModem output:

--------------------------  System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,  Ubuntu ,  ALSA_version=1.0.23
Linux version 2.6.38-8-generic (buildd@vernadsky) (gcc version 4.5.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.5.2-8ubuntu3) ) #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:50 UTC 2011
 scanModem update of:  2011_02_04

Distrib_ID=Ubuntu
DistribCodeName=natty
AptRepositoryStem=http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

Presently install your Linux Distributions dkms package. It provides for automated driver updates,
following upgrade of your kernel.  For details see http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms

 There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe*  files

 Potentially useful modem drivers now loaded are:

Attached USB devices are:
 ID 0483:7554 SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k SoftModem
 ID 152e:2507 LG (HLDS)
If a cellphone is not detected, see http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-878554.html
A sample report is:  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-nineth/msg00578.html

If a USB modem or cellphone is attached and was not detected, please
provide available information in your request to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Candidate PCI devices with modem chips are:
High Definition Audio cards can host modem chips.

=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 004:
    Modem chipset  detected on
SLOT="Bus 004 Device 002:"
NAME="SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k SoftModem"
bus=004
USBmodemID=0483:7554
IDENT=slusb
Driver=slusb

For a detailed USB cellphone usage report, see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg03240.html
 For candidate modem in:  004
    SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k SoftModem
      Primary device ID:  0483:7554
 Support type needed or chipset:    slusb

There is a package sl-modem-source providing a source code the modem driver slusb ,
If can be searched for at http://pacakge.ubuntu.com. ; After downloading install under Linux with:
  $ sudo dpkg -i sl*.deb
It is preferable to install the dkms package first.
With DKMS support installed, driver updates with kernel updates will be automatically done.

The modem is supported by the Smartlink slusb
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

For 2.6.38-8-generic compiling drivers is necessary. As of October 2007 the current packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/ ; are the
ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and slmodem-2.9.11-20080126.tar.gz

Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt
============ end Smartlink section =====================

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

 Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.5.2
             and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.5.2

 linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!

 If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
     linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include. The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Checking settings of:    /etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
noauth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

In case of a message like:
   Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

For guidance on FAX usage, get from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ ; get faxing.tar.gz
It has samples for a modem using port /dev/ttySL0, which must be changed to match your modem's port.

Read Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

 Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble shooting be necessary.

 Checking for modem support lines:
 --------------------------------------
     /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:

     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------