Re: Wisecom Installation Issue (Nearly) Solved?

Dear all,
+apologies to ADIII and Marv for dups due to bounced HTML stuff in
answered mail.

I just wish to remind the exact hardware architecture which ADIII is
trying to use.
His modem is NOT a USB modem but an old style (old means excellent, quite
often) SERIAL modem.
His computer has no DB25/DB9 serial port.
ADIII connects his modem to an "interface adapter" device Prolific model
PL2303 embedded in a cable which has an USB connector connected to the
computer and a DB9 connector connected to the modem.
This is not just a passive cable. It contains a chip and needs a special
driver in the computer if the chip is intended to emulate a serial port.
Prolific says that this driver is included in any "recent"  kernel beyond
I  humbly suggest that ADIII's problem may AMONG OTHERS be due to his old
modem using some pins not emulated in the driver.
In particular I sort of remember that ADIII's  modem needs a 25 pins RS232
cable. My own PL2303 which I do *not* use for a modem was delivered with a
DB9-ended cable and a dumb DB9<->DB25  pin to pin converter for users in
need of using a 25 pins device  (not my case).
In my case I only need the transmit and ground pins, but who knows which
pins ADIII's modem needs and if the driver knows how to handle them...

Jacques