Re: is my modem listed/supported

Joe,

your modem should be supported by hsfmdoem drivers

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 01:07.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Device 2f40"
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=14f1:2f40
SUBSYS=14f1:2000
IRQ=11
HDA2=00:05.0
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

 For candidate modem in:  01:07.0
   0780 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Device 2f40
      Primary device ID:  14f1:2f40
 Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Modem support packages from Linuxant include resources for compiling drivers.
If an installer package matching your kernel_version  is not provided,
just install a generic code package.

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full_k2.6.38_10_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.

 The directions following below need only be pursued, if the above
procedures are not adequate.

Start at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php to find the
hsfmodem package matching your System. For several Linux distros, there are
precompiled drivers matched to specific kernels. These have within the FileName,
your KernelVersion:	2.6.38_10_generic
They can be found through
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
A more precise location may be given a few paragraphs below.
If an EXACT Match with your your KernelVersion is not found, one of the
"Generic packages with source" near the bottom of the page must be used.
Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder is OK)
and unzipped with:
	unzip hsf*.zip
The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
permission:
  sudo dpkg -i hsf*.deb
while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
  rpm -i hsf*.rpm