Re: FW: Brian, CANADA, kernel 2.6.35-22-generic

Brian,
I have not followed this thread.
Let me just try  to look at your case from a different angle.
You wish to  using Linux to possibly later abandon Windows.
You have a 64 bits system, an AMD processor identified by Linux as  an
x86_64 device which is able to work as a 32 bits processor.
You luckily (no kidding) own a Lucent/Agere Mars 1 modem fully supported
in 32 bits mode by the martian driver, with the caveat that perhaps support
might be limited at this time to a kernel somewhat older than 2.6.35.-22.

I would like to  suggest that your computer will work to your entire
satisfaction to the point of not being able to feel a difference, if you
would install a 32 bits  version of Linux in place of the current 64 bits.
If in addition you select to install not the last but perhaps one or two
before the last kernels, clearly labelled as having been tested in 32
bits mode with the martian driver, you will be able to install the
martian driver off the shelf, pre-compiled or easily compiled.

A beginner Linux user previously using Windows is not likely to quickly
reach heavy computations where running in 32 bits mode might be sensed
as weaker than in 64 bits mode.

I happen to own a 10 years old laptop with the  same modem as yours -
with a 32 bits only processor.
If this would encourage you to solve your case by easily implementing on
your computer a 32 bits Linux version, I am quite willing to test the
expected success for you on my old unused but working laptop.

You may never have heard that in many universities and research centers
the 32 bits mode is often recommended over the 64 bits mode for very
good reasons such as problems like yours.

I am using Fedora rather than Ubuntu (because the authors of Ubuntu keep
introducing features and layouts off the central Linux  track and
because the unscreened Ubuntu alleged documentation which I tried to use
was so often misleading). I am doing a lot of heavily demanding Physics
simulations. The 64 bits improved performance is hardly measurable and
certainly only when  extended 128 bits precision is necessary for accuracy.

Best regards
Jacques