Re: Yuly,Canada This is kernel 2.6.34 64b

Yuly,

You got the right packages, but they are known to work only on 32 bit
linux, not 64 bit :(, I don't know how to advise?  I will attach
relevant output of scanModem,

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 09:01.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=1057:3052
SUBSYS=1057:3020
IRQ=16
IDENT=slamr

 For candidate modem in:  09:01.0
   0703 Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem
      Primary device ID:  1057:3052
 Support type needed or chipset:	slamr

 1057:3052 has a Motorola chipset, poorly supported by Motorola itself
 However Zello discovered that drivers written to support Smartlink
modems do support the 1057:3052 chipset!!
 It sufficed to add 1057:3052 to the list of modem cards recognized by
the Smartlink slamr driver.
 There is a ungrab-winmodem driver used in conjunction with slamr,
which must have 1057:3052
 similarly added. See messages from Zello:
 	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00846.html
 	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00848.html
 and Alvaro Aguirre about the ungrab-winmodem fix:
	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00990.html
 For general guidance on ungrab-winmodem + slamr usage, read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt

There is a package sl-modem-source providing a source code the modem driver  ,
If can be searched for at http://pacakge.ubuntu.com.  After
downloading install under Linux with:
  $ sudo dpkg -i sl*.deb
If DKMS support installed, driver updates with kernel updates will be
automatically done.

The modem is supported by the Smartlink
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

For 2.6.34 compiling drivers is necessary. As of October 2007 the
current packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/  are the
ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and slmodem-2.9.11-20080126.tar.gz

Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt
============ end Smartlink section =====================

Does not mention that slamr.ko is only good for 32 bit and not 64 bit
linux.  It is different from the slusb.ko for 64 bit here:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slusb64bit.txt

You are in unchartered territory, and I would like to advice you, I
don't know how.  I have experience with martian_modem for some Agere
Lucent Winmodems,and with smartlink modems but only in 32 bit :(

You have successfully done the following: ?

$ su -
passwd:
# modprobe slamr
# modprobe ungrab-winmodem

provided you also compiled ungrab-winmodem?  and then
# slmodemd -c CANADA /dev/slamr0

Hope to get more information as this is unheard of for smartlink modems.

Regards,

Antonio

CC'ing also original maintainer of slmodem code?  Sasha K.
Maybe there is some new information that will make the modem work in 64 bit?