"reset" cdrom without rebooting?

Hi,

so far it happened twice to me that my cd-rw device didn't respond when
I opened Xcdroast...
Rebooting always fixed the problem, but I was wondering if there's a
simpler way to "reset" the device?

When it's down, mount always says "no medium" when trying to mount
something, and cdrecord mentions "No CD" as well...

Maybe reloading modules may help?
But I wouldn't know how exactly to do this, since it's loaded with scsi
emulation (hdc=ide-scsi in grub.conf)

Any help appreciated

Hans