Advice on locale settings

Can anybody point me to some useful documentation on the various
tradeoffs  when configuring the locale settings in Null?

I'm migrating some systems from Solaris to RH8, and I really don't have
the time or energy at the moment to audit thousands of scripts that may
depend on C locale, especially LC_COLLATE.  I'd like to do this over
time in a controlled way, by, e.g., modifying individual cron jobs and
validating their results ...

Regards,

    Bill Rugolsky