Re: Rationale for package removals?

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, John wrote:

>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:05:36 +0800
>From: John <valhalla@computerdatasafe.com.au>
>To: limbo-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Rationale for package removals?
>
>On Monday 09 September 2002 22:09, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>> More likely: "elm is nort maintained anymore. Try Pine or mutt"
>>

>> Or a "Dropped due to lake of author maintainance" sestion
>> since that's likely the cause for 75% or more. and a simple
>> "elm" "pine or mutt" table  of apps/packages and replacements
>
>So far as I can see gpm hasn't been maintained in two years. Surely, RH isn't
>about to drop that?
>
>The question should not be so much as whether it's maintained as whether it's
>used.
>
>A quick scan of email on my V account shows people are using it.

It's a package by package basis.  shapecfg hasn't been updated in
3 or more years.  It doesn't _need_ updating though either.  It
just works.

gpm has bounced around maintenance-wise, but that is quite a bit
different from shapecfg which is unmaintained.  Likewise, some
other package can be unmaintained and be very buggy and require a
lot of work to keep in the distro.

Each package is it's own.  The reason for removal of one package
for being unmaintained, and another that is unmaintained staying
is due to different circumstances in each of the given packages,
as well as other criterion.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer