Re: .Xdefaults behavior

Enrico Scholz <enrico.scholz@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:

> mharris@redhat.com ("Mike A. Harris") writes:
>
> > >After upgrading to Null I've noticed that my .Xdefaults file doesn't
> > >seem to be referenced anymore.
> > Get with the times.  ;o)
>
> I do not like the new "modern" stuff (Gnome2, sawfish2, AA-Fonts,
> .Xresources) because it has too much drawbacks and/or missing
> features. The big advantage of ~/.Xdefaults over ~/.Xresources is the
> interpretation of ~/.Xdefault-<hostname> files. Perhaps I can use the
> xrdb-preprocessor for statements like '#ifdef HOSTNAME_IS_KOSH' to get
> similar effects there but this requires a LOT of work to add such
> defines and is not supported by RH.
>
> I tested to rename .Xdefaults to .Xresources but got bad result
> (non-working keys) there. That's why the transformation of Xdefaults
> to Xresources is not trivially. Because I do not like (and use)
> AA-fonts, the simplest solution to keep the good old behavior is
>
> | # rm -f /etc/X11/Xresources
>
> after installing xinitrc.

Results of this:

 A) Ugly fonts in KDE
 B) .Xdefaults still not working in GNOME since GNOME will set the
    same resources based on control panel settings.

~/.Xresources-hostname could be added pretty trivially - I've added
 a note about it to #68257.

I don't understand what wouldn't work in just transforming ~/.Xdefaults
to ~/.Xresources; they are the same keys in the same format.

(And ~/.Xresources is not exactly _new_ - setting resources on the
display has been around since the dawn of time.)

Regards,
                                        Owen