ATI R128 chipset and DRI lockup

I still have not seen any solutions to this problem.  Ever since RH7.3 my
system will lock up when playing ANY (mpg, mpeg, avi...)video format with
ANY (xine, gtv, mpeg123, ogle...) video player when DRI is uncommented in
XF86Config-4.  If I comment that line out, everything plays fine, however,
acceleration gets disabled (things like chromium slow my system down so bad
that it take ~30secs to switch to tty1).

I noticed a couple bugs out there for the same issue, but all seem to have
been resolved as either misconfiguration or wrong kernel (none of which are
the case here).  This happened on 7.3/limbo/limbo2/(null).

I also have (null) on my laptop (running some 2D card, don't remember at the
moment) and it runs video fine (this could be due to no 3D accel?).

I just loaded Mandrake 9.0RC1 on the same pc to check if it did the same
thing.  It does NOT.  I really do not like Mandrake though, so most likely
it will be uninstalled by the end of the week with 7.3 reinstalled and
up2dated.  However, the point is that Mandrakes config works while RH's does
not.  What difference could there be between the two to cause something like
this.

Computer specs follow.

Athlon 850
Rage Fury 128 32MB
SBLive!
394MB RAM
Tekram 390U/F SCSI adapter

Help please!  I hate having to keep editing the XF86Config file and
restarting X so I can do different things.

Shaun