Re: Rationale for package removals?

Mike A. Harris wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>

>>>No, not really.  The removals aren't formally documented
>>>anywhere, so finding out the reason for a specific removal
>>>involves determining who removed it and asking them.
>>>

>>That sounds like a process problem.
>>Any additions/removals should be documented.
>>

>Fair enough.  I think documenting the fact a package was removed,
>and what alternatives there are is sufficient.  And for _some_
>packages, perhaps a reason.  I don't think we need to justify
>every single software removal though.  Because quite frankly,

Of course not. But if there was a reason, at least tell us.

>in the year 2002 and people do not want to be told "elm was
>removed because it sucks, use mutt or pine or evolution or
>something that is actually maintained".  Just to make up an

More likely: "elm is nort maintained anymore. Try Pine or mutt"

Or a "Dropped due to lake of author maintainance" sestion
since that's likely the cause for 75% or more. and a simple
"elm" "pine or mutt" table  of apps/packages and replacements

>Indeed, and by removing Xconfigurator, people will now file
>requests for enhancement for these missing features (just like
>

>you're about to most likely <grin>) so that we can add these

They were never added to Xconfigurator either. About the only RFE
I would have is Include xf86cfg, or at least ALL the functionality it has.
I'm usually using newer versions of X/DRI and the kernel. I usebuild the
SRPM and build myself (and don't file bugs since my setup is unsupported:)

>features.  Otherwise people would use it and then say "damn, this
>sucks, I'll just use Xconsuckurator instead" and the problem
>never gets fixed.

I always thoughh Xconfigurator sucked too.I liked XF86Setup.
It had problems, but looked like a good start.

>>I agree. XF-3.3.x was kept too long.
>>

>You're on my Christmas card list now.  ;o)

Of course I was using the Rawhaide XF86-4.0 tree as soon as it
was up. And 2.3 kernels before 2.4 was released. Now
if only 2.5 would become usable...

>>Is there some other software in the distro that does what xmorph does?
>>

>No idea.  If I had to hazard a reasonable guess, I would say
>emacs probably replaces xmorph.  ;o)

Hmmm..... lisp might be the best way to write morphing code :)
Too bad I never understood the difference in car and cdr :(

    -Thomas