SPAM - was Re: News gateway for this list?

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:33:10 +0800, John wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 05 September 2002 19:08, Paul & Angela Gear wrote:
>>

>>>Is there, or can there be, a news gateway for this list?
>>>

>>I hope not if it exposes real email addresses.
>>

><off-topic rant>
>
>It is already enough that some subscribers quote the e-mail address
>in their replies (please don't do that!) because this causes the
>e-mail addresses to be included within the archives.
>
>There are spammers fetching addresses from [also mirrored] Red Hat
>mailing-lists via the web interfaces (Google finds my address there
>and only there). The rpm-list at Freshrpms.net is indexed, too,
>already.
>
>SPAM/UCE is a real problem with mail accounts where you don't
>control the mail server and hence cannot install anti-SPAM software.
>
>On the top of the SPAM-sending countries I see Taiwan and Korea.
>95% of the IPs are in the database at apnic.net, twnic.net, or
>nic.or.kr, but sometimes with out-of-date contact information.

            The undoubted world leader and producers of UCE, SPAM, and
PORNOGRAPHY are the KOREANS, followed closely by the Chinese.

>Abuse complaints don't seem to help much. Maybe 1% take action in

        Quite true. I have an ongoing problem with HANANET.NET and
KORNET.NET (some >400 complaints to date). I am now forwarding my
complaints to every member of the Korean Ministry of Industry, and the
Korean consular representatives at the UN, Washington, and Ottawa.

As always, the entire spam with full headers is prefaced with the following:

I do NOT wish to receive ANY Unsolicited Commercial Email from KOREA.
I do NOT read, write, or speak KOREAN.

    ... now tell me, what is so difficult to understand in the above two
*plain
English* statements???

>accordance with their terms of service. The rest ignore you or don't
>understand English (judging from the auto-replies).
>
></off-topic rant>

</off-topic rant>

        ... sorry, but I'm in the midst of dealing witht the daily
KOREAN crap,

    # end of topic