Re: News gateway for this list?

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:33:10 +0800, John wrote:

> On Thursday 05 September 2002 19:08, Paul & Angela Gear wrote:
> > Is there, or can there be, a news gateway for this list?
>
> I hope not if it exposes real email addresses.

<off-topic rant>

It is already enough that some subscribers quote the e-mail address
in their replies (please don't do that!) because this causes the
e-mail addresses to be included within the archives.

There are spammers fetching addresses from [also mirrored] Red Hat
mailing-lists via the web interfaces (Google finds my address there
and only there). The rpm-list at Freshrpms.net is indexed, too,
already.

SPAM/UCE is a real problem with mail accounts where you don't
control the mail server and hence cannot install anti-SPAM software.

On the top of the SPAM-sending countries I see Taiwan and Korea.
95% of the IPs are in the database at apnic.net, twnic.net, or
nic.or.kr, but sometimes with out-of-date contact information.

Abuse complaints don't seem to help much. Maybe 1% take action in
accordance with their terms of service. The rest ignore you or don't
understand English (judging from the auto-replies).

</off-topic rant>