Re: Evil genius idea? Was: nvidia for null.

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Jesse Keating wrote:

>Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:26:07 -0700
>From: Jesse Keating <hosting@j2solutions.net>
>To: limbo-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Evil genius idea? Was: nvidia for null.
>
>On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:50:51 -0400 (EDT)
>"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com> wrote:
>
># You can't certify a driver against source code.  That makes no
># sense.  I could compile my kernel with the pgcc compiler beta
># 3.4.5.6.6.3.34544prealpha12 with commandline options:
># -O89 -fmegafastallthewaybaby -march=opteron
># -fexperimental-feature-foo
>
>Point taken.  But you can somewhat ensure that a driver will work
>across the board of Distro's all running a current kernel released by
>that distributor.

"somewhat ensure" is a very vague and non meaningful term.
As is "you".  I cant personally ensure a driver will work across
various distros running any kernel.

What I can do, is try to make sure as many pieces of video
hardware work as well as possible for as many people as possible
on as much hardware permutations as possible.  I can't guarantee
any of it though.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer