Re: Limbo + Gnome + Fonts

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 08:58:00 -0700
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> If one use startx to get to X then xdm or gdm isn't used ..right?  do

Right.  "startx -- -dpi 100"

> starts up?  Is there some trick to find out what files under /etc/X11
> are getting used?  The way X starts (init process) has always confused

as root, "strace -e open -f -o xinit.strace startx", but that will likely
give you WAY more info than you actually wanted.

> I use startx, here is see:
> root # xdpyinfo | grep -i resolution
>   resolution:    126x126 dots per inch
>
> But how can I tell where it comes from?

Your monitor.  X asks your monitor for supported resolutions and also gets
the size from it.  From the size, resolution can be calculated.  The -dpi
switch allows you to tell X to lie about the DPI.

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> wrote:
> I don't think it works in Limbo, though I'm not sure. Limbo initially
> paid more attention to DPI than 7.3, but because the X server tended
> to lie about DPI, we ended up following Windows and Mac and just
> locked the DPI assumed by the font stuff at a fixed value. At least I
> believe that's how it is right now.

Arg?  Allowing the user to twiddle with DPI should be the easy way to
implement "large fonts", "small fonts" across X GUI toolkits.

When does the X server lie about DPI?

Doug
--
Doug Kilpatrick