Re: ncftp removed from default install

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 17:28, Tom Diehl wrote:
<snip>
> I do not see why it is such a big deal to click on the ncftp box at install
> time. Better yet if you have more than one machine to install stop doing
> interactive installs completely and set up kickstart.
</snip>

Well...i think you can turn that argument on its head.  Why have the old
compatibility apps like ftp as the default, when the old F*rts should
know enough to know how to install those packages if they need them?

I think any pre-defined package sets have to be there for the ease and
convenience of the newbie linux user.  Newbies can be overwhelmed by
options and might not really be savvy enough to know what they want.
And I think it makes sense to give those type of fresh install users who
don't know enough to know what they want on their systems a set of
defaults that are a best of breed.  ncftp or lftp are arguably better
than the ftp text client...not that a newbie user is going to run a text
ftp client, so my argument holds no water whatsoever. Newbies will use
mozilla for the ftp needs.  Hey as long as ncftp is included and I can
install the binary...I'm content.

  -jef