Re: What happend to our ability to set window raise interval?

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

>> gconf-config          gconfd-2              gconf-sanity-check-2
>> gconf-config-1        gconfigger            gconftool-1
>> gconfd-1              gconf-sanity-check-1  gconftool-2
>>
>> None of these do a damn thing at the command line, that is usefull.
>>

> Well as I said, gconf-editor or gconftool. Many of the things there
> are obsolete or now live in /usr/libexec.

None of them are in /usr/libexec either.
ls /usr/libexec/gc*
 <no hits>

> With gconf-editor it is a GUI thing, open it, browse to
> /apps/metacity/general, you will see the right key and docs on it.

I would gladly open it, if only I could learn where it is.  I see no
such item in my menus anywhere.  A curory search of gnome help
browser turns up nothing.  There seems to be no global way to search
gnome help.

Menus: applications, utilities, system all draw blanks....

> With gconftool, you might find the key and change it as follows:
>
> # locate the right key
> $ gconftool-2 -R /apps/metacity | less
> (note /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay)
>
> # look at the schema for the key
> $ gconftool-2 --get /schemas/apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay
> Type: int
> List Type: *invalid

> Car Type: *invalid*
> Cdr Type: *invalid*
> Default Value: 500
> Owner: metacity
> Short Desc: Delay in milliseconds for the auto raise option
> Long Desc:
>          The time delay before raising a window if auto_raise is
>         set to true. The delay is given in thousandths of a second.
>
> # modify the key's value
> % gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay 1000

Cool .. yeah these commands worked, but interestingly, rerunning
gconftool-2 --get /schemas/apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay
After making the change, still shows 500, however the actual interval
has clearly changed.

Where does one learn of these commands?  `man' knows nothing about them.

grep -r gconf /usr/share/gnome*
  <nada>

grep -r gconf-editor /usr/share/doc/gnome*
<nada>

grep -r gconf-editor ~/
/home/reader/.gconf/apps/gnome-settings/gnome-panel/%gconf.xml:<gconf><entry
 name="history-gnome-run" mtime="1029377936" muser="reader"
 type="list" ltype="string"><li

Still no help... why is it so well hidden?