Traffic shapping and vpn tunnel problems

Running traffic shapping both in and out.
Creating ptp connections via openvpn.
Route the tunnels with ospf.

Having a problem with outgoing traffic shapping.
txqueuelen on the tunnels is normally 100.
At that setting have horrible latency at times.
If I lower txqueuelen it keeps latency under control but end up with excessive
packet loss.

The more I think about it putting another queue before the traffic shapping
creates an unsolvable problem.
I'm tempted to try ipsec and gre tunnels but suspect the same problem will be
the same.

How about adding traffic shapping into the tunnels?
I have 5 tunnels how would one get the tunnel shapping work with the shapping
on the outgong interface?

Any suggestions?

John