Re: Limiting download from server

On 14/05/13 16:15, Carlos Nepomuceno wrote:
Hi guys! This is my first post on this list.

I'd like to ask for your advice on how to limit the download rate and total traffic from a server based on the IP of the client.

I need to put some restrictions on particular clients that are overloading a server (CentOS 6).

Any help will be very much appreciated.

You might want to start by reading some of the info at lartc.org. I'm afraid some of it is seriously out of date - but other bits are very much current. I started with the HTB script from this page:

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html#AEN2241

and then further adapted it to suit my needs. You will most likely need to use different classes for different client IP addresses - and set the rate (and maybe the "ceil") option as needed for each class - in order to only allow it as much bandwidth as you want it to have.

If you need to add and remove IP addresses on the fly - you might need to "complicate" the script a bit further - but if your clients use static IP addresses - setting up few classes and filters for few clients shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope the above helps