IFB ingress traffic shaping with NAT

We are currently running CentOS5.8 with IMQ to do traffic shaping for
a site with potentially upward of 2000 users. In trying to switch to
IFB, it seems that the ingress qdisc intercepts the traffic too early
for inbound NAT, so the addresses we see on the ifb interface are
cannot be used to manage ip-based traffic shaping. In my research, it
has been suggested several times to use connmark to handle this
situation, but I have not found any examples of how this would be
achieved. Is this truly the only way to handle this. Using IMQ it is
much easier, but IMQ is not integrated into the kernel. For our
purposes, being able to use a stock kernel would be better.

Can anyone provide a short example as to how using connmarks would
work, given that we need to support 2000+ clients (with potentially
different tc classes each).
Or is there a better way to get set up ifb after inbound NAT?

--
Mike SCHMIDT
CTO