Re: Traffic shaping for 95th percentile

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, John A. Sullivan III
<jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, all.  We are trying to figure out how to shape our colocated
> traffic to conform to 95th percentile billing, ...
> I suppose I could try to get our monitoring system to monitor 95th
> percentile and dynamically change ul as we get dangerously close but
> that is going to be somewhat complicated and does not give a stand-alone
> solution.
>
> Is there a viable way to do this with traffic shaping alone or is the
> only way by integrating it with a monitoring system? Thanks - John

I can't speak to the queuing parameters so much, but do have one
question: What do you plan to do if your traffic shaper needs
rebooted, loses power, or some other change resets the queuing
state/counters? I think you'll still need some external monitoring to
keep track of what throughputs you've used so far during the billing
period, and make sure you don't exceed your targeted thresholds.