Re: HFSC and that ATM overhead problem (Another VOIP QoS post. Ahhhh)

On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:04, Fog_Watch wrote:
> G'Day
>
> I would like to be able to use my VOIP telephone over a saturated
> ADSL link whilst enjoying optimum audio quality and utilising all of the
> bandwidth I pay for.  It is about this situation that I write.
>
> HFSC appears to be the queueing discipline of choice for VOIP.  In order
> for this to work, though, do I have to account for the ATM overhead in
> the small VOIP packets by defining my maximum root class bit rate as
> (measured max bit rate)*%50 (or some other awful percentage)?
>
> If the answer is yes to the above, does that mean that the next best
> solution would be HTB coupled with the newly updated
> http://www.adsl-optimizer.dk/?

Ah! Thanks for pointing to us that the kernel devs finnally accepted the
patches.

Does someone know if the patched TC will work for kernel versions >= 2.6.24?

> Would Shorewall with patched kernel and
> patched iproute2 be the most Luddite way of using adsl-optimizer?

I don't use Shorewall, but rather an iptables script which works for most
scenarios:

http://downloads.angulosolido.pt/iptables/

If you don't use a patched kernel and if your system has only two network
interfaces, you can use a script like this one:

http://downloads.angulosolido.pt/QoS/HTB_shaper_basic.sh

and take the overhead into account empirically (this one is HTB based).

That is, start with the value the modem is synchronized for, fill the line
with the average traffic you expect and lower the values until is OK. As you
lower the upstream value you will find increasingly better latency values
(try with ping + voip app).

The best way is indeed patching the kernel and tc so that the overhead is
automatically taken into account. I haven't done it yet, since that process
doesn't scale for using across multiple systems of different versions.

Now that the kernel patches were accepted things may change :-)

Best regards
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt