Multiple shaping on a single physical interface

I have a Linux box connected to a simple DSL router (along with other machines on the home network). This box is intended as an off-site storage server for my office. Taking advantage of some rsync scripts, I have a very simple yet complete off-site backup solution. My question is in bandwidth management.

I want to use this box for other purposes. It has a single NIC, connected to the switch/router. Operating within my home LAN, I should be able to communicate with it at the typical full-duplex 100BaseT speeds. However, when it's involved in the archive process, the DSL connection (5M/512k) get saturated. I wanted to setup some sort of shaping on this box to control how much of the DSL connection it consumes.

I initially went to wondershaper/ctshaper - but I realized that this is actually going to hurt me. With ctshaper enabled, with the DSL tuned settings of 5M/512k - I've absolutely crippled its ability to communicate with the LAN.

How can I achieve the clean communication with the DSL, reserving some available bandwidth for other purposes - yet leave communication with the local network at full? Do I need to define multiple virtual interfaces?

Daniel