Re: About "b" meaning "byte" and bit

DervishD wrote:
    Hi Indunil :)

 * Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75@xxxxxxxxx> dixit:
On 8/31/07, DervishD <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hi all :)

    I think that this issue has already been discussed on this list, but
google didn't find anything interesting, so I'm bringing the subject
again.

    The output of "tc" uses "b" meaning "byte" and "bit" for "bit". The
"official" suffixes for those units are "B" and "b", respectively, and
on top of this, I'm not sure if "kbit" means "kilobit" or "kibibit" in
"tc" output.

SEE below that was taken form  this URL

http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm

Please read: tc tool (not only HTB) uses shortcuts to denote units of rate.
kbps means kilobytes and kbit means kilobits ! This is the most FAQ about tc
in linux.

    Yes, I already knew that, what I was asking is why SI units are not
used and "shortcuts" are used instead: see my original message, I was
not sure if kilobit was being used correctly (meaning 1000 bits) or if
it was being used mistakenly for kibibit (1024 bits), and on top of
that, why "b" was being used as byte when the SI prefix for byte is "B".

It got changed so kbit means 1000 when S.Hemminger took over maintenance IIRC.

    I mean, tc doesn't seem to follow any standard except maybe in
kilobit (which should be then used as kb, not kbit).

I think changing kb and kbit would break too many existing scripts.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado