Re: NAT-aware traffic analysis

Sorry if didn't reply you as expected

Currently I use iptables to monitor how many bytes and packets each
client has transmitted:

Each client has an ACCEPT rule that matches their IP and MAC address

I can see the byte and packet counters with iptables -L -n -v

then, I use a script to parse this output and feed the apropriate RRD.

Previously, I used to parse the output of tc -s class ls dev ifb0
which gave me almost the same result

On 9/6/07, Ming-Ching Tiew <mingching.tiew@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: "Marco Aurelio" <marco.casaroli@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> > If you use IFB or IMQ you can shape the outgoing WAN traffic before NAT
> >

> I am not sure if I understand this reply or the reply seems to me,
> is not replying to my original question.
>
> I am asking how to collect statistics about LAN users with respect
> to their WAN usage, with LAN IP as the breakdown.
>
> I am not asking how to do traffic shaping. And may I know how
> does IMQ help that ?
>
> Actually with more thought given to the problem, I think I am
> quite inclined to using iptables ULOG. But ULOG solution
> has a few things need mentioning :-
>
> 1. Might be very heavy on system loading. Hope people can
>     clarify if it is a real concern. And anyone has experience using
>     ULOG 2.x ? Will 2.x be more friendly to system loading
>     compared to 1.x ?
>
> 2. Logging goes into either file or database. It's to be a offline
>     monitoring mechanism. Is there a way to use ULOG for online
>     monitoring ?
>
> 3. Next, each ULOG is only specifying one side of the traffic. eg :-
>
>         iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -j ULOG .....
>
>     I will need another iptables rule to specify the returning traffic, eg
> :-
>
>         iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ULOG .....
>
>    Combining two independent logs as one connection will still be a
> challenge.
>
> Hope to see more suggestions and discussion.
> Thank you.

Marco Casaroli
SapucaiNet Telecom
+55 35 34712377 ext. 5