Re: How tho share varible bandwidth with weighted round robin

I am interested in the incoming traffic (from Internet to lan users). This is the problem.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:12:09 +0200, Javier Ors wrote

> As far as I undestand, at least sfq should work without knowing the actual bandwith (you don't need to specify it in the qdisc creation). The problem with it is that it only works in the bottleneck of the network, where the queues form, which is usually the machine which has the hardware that makes the connection to the Internet. For example in this configuration...
>
> Internet <--- cable/dsl/etc. ---> Router/Modem <---ethernet---> Firewall <---ethernet---->LAN
>
> shaping outgoing traffic (traffic to the internet) with only sfq, esfq, prio, etc... will be useless if it is done in the firewall, becouse the queues will form in the router. It could be done in the same router if it has the capability (for example, it runs Linux inside and it is accessible by ssh or telnet). I haven't tried WRR but the same should be applied.
>
> Theoretically, at least as I see it, HTB could also be used without knowing the actual speed in the bottleneck, you just should set the root class to a speed higher than Vmax and adjust the rates of the leaf classes to the desired ratios, or playing with the quantums so that it behaves like a WRR or DRR (which is that it uses internally when the classes are borrowing). But I have made many attempts in this sense and all of them have been unsuccessful, don't know why.
>
> For incoming traffic it is another story, it can be done in the firewall, but it is a little trickier.
>
> Even more theoretically, outgoing shaping maybe could be done also in the firewall if the router supports ECN, so that the queues could be formed in the firewall using this information without nedding to reduce the bandwith, but this is just a mental experiment which still have pending to brought to practice, so don't pay much attention to this...
>
> --
> Este mensaje ha sido analizado por
> en busca de virus y otros contenidos peligrosos,
> y se considera que está limpio.
> MailScanner agradece a
por su apoyo.

--
Open WebMail Project (
http://openwebmail.org)

There is some queue disciplines like esfq and WRR (w. But theses ones only
> work if you know the actual bandwidth.

y se considera que está limpio.
MailScanner agradece a transtec Computers por su apoyo.