Re: gateway failover with linux

Hi Grant.

At 2007-07-19 16:15:01 -0500, gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm a bit confused, are you wanting a single Linux firewall /
> router to have redundant internet connections, or to route
> traffic to redundant systems behind it and intelligently
> handle the failure of one or more of said redundant systems?

Neither.

I just want a hot standby for a single Linux firewall, such that clients
behind it are not affected by a hardware failure on the firewall. If my
configuration would allow me to someday promote the backup and run both
firewall machines in a load-balancing configuration, so much the better.

The following example looks very much like what I want:

    http://people.netfilter.org/pablo/conntrack-tools/testcase.html

(Can anyone comment on whether I should stick with keepalived as
described above, or try out ucarp?)

> Will you please clarify what you are really wanting to do per
> above and I'll be more than happy to try to point you in the
> right direction.

Thanks, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

-- ams