Re: Re: [LARTC} how can I compile tc

John Baker wrote:
The story here is that I'm am using instructions my predecessor left for building a packet shapeing firewall and trying to update them for a new box that needs some drivers in the newer kernel version. (I can go back, use older versions and manually insert stuff but it makes more sense to try the latest stuff first)

I need to build tc because it needs to be patched with esfq-2.6.20/esfq-iproute2.patch.

So I built the Linux 2.6.20.3 with the necessary patches and left it in /usr/src/linux-2.6.20.3 with a /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to it. I didn't do anything after setting it up.

The git version unfortunatly won't compile either. I get this:

../include/linux/types.h:166: error: syntax error before ‘__kernel_daddr_t’
../include/linux/types.h:166: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union ../include/linux/types.h:167: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘f_tinode’ ../include/linux/types.h:167: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
../include/linux/types.h:170: error: syntax error before ‘}’ token
make[1]: *** [ll_map.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/iproute2/lib'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm going to see if I can get iproute 2.6.19 working with this. It seemed to compile once but without the proper patches. If not, I'll have to move back to the 2.6.15 versions that are already prove.

Unless you have some other suggestion for hte above error.

I just tried with esfq patches and it still works for me. I notice Correy has started using netfilter - I bet that will take some maintaining, but it doesn't look like it's anything to do with your error.

What is your arch 64bit? I only have 32bit to test with.

My desktop is fairly old tools (LFS 5.1 IIRC - it was still 2.4 I think before I migrated it) - if you are really really old maybe that could hurt you.

Maybe you could try a quick test - no need to build the kernel, but you must configure. For me make menuconfig picks up my last config because I put it in /boot YMMV of course you may need to find/import your config then just exit and save. My configs have pretty much everything tc/qos related selected as modules.

Don't bother with esfq just see if you can build against a vanilla kernel.

just to complicate things git doesn't work for me today -

Initialized empty Git repository in /home/andy/Kern-test/git-test/iproute2.git/.git/
fetch-pack from 'git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shemminger/' failed.

But I kept a clean copy of it from the other day, so just used that, I've put a copy up so we know we are using the same thing.

Anyway - just as a user try somewhere -

mkdir tc-test
cd tc-test
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.3.tar.bz2
wget www.andyqos.ukfsn.org/iproute2-git.tar.bz2
tar xjf linux-2.6.20.3.tar.bz2
tar xjf iproute2-git.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.6.20.3
make [whateveryouuse]config

load/hope it found your recent config exit/save

cd ../iproute2-git
export KERNEL_INCLUDE=/full/path/to/tc-test/linux-2.6.20.3/include/
make

If it still fails maybe we should cc Stephen again :-)

Andy.