Re: linux 3.13 guest crash with -cpu host

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 03:19:18PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >The claim "v2 and above have FEATURE_PDCM" is in fact true for real
> >hardware.
> >
> >If it didn't the rdmsr() would have generated an exception and we'd have
> >crashed just like your virtual thingy did.
>
> Right, and the virt thingy has no PEBS, so there is no correct value that we
> could return from the MSR.  That's why the CPUID bit is zero.

There's more than PEBS in there, there's also the LBR format (which you
obviously also don't have) and the full_width_write bit, which you also
don't have.

Returning 0 is a safe value. Seeing you don't have LBR, we don't look at
the LBR format fields, seeing you don't have PEBS, we don't look at
those fields either.

We don't appear to use the SMM_FREEZE bit at all, and 0 is in fact the
right value for full_width_write, since you lack the MSRs to support
that.

Anyway, its easy for me to make future kernels do the right PDCM test,
probably easy to backport too (should apply with minimal trouble back a
fair number of releases).

You can also implement the MSR to simply return 0, which is a safe
value.