Re: macvtap performance regression (bisected) between 3.13 and 3.14-rc1

On 03/01/2014 02:27 PM, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
> On 03/01/2014 06:15 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote:

>>> I am looking.  It shouldn't cause addition segmentations and when I ran
>>> netperf on the code I didn't see any difference in the throughput.
>>
>> Dont know if the different bytes/packets ratio is really the reason or
>> just a side effect. As a hint: the underlying network device does not support
>> segmentation, but this should not matter for traffic between to guests.
>
> Could you post 'ethtool -k' output for both lower-level device and the
> macvtap device?
>
> Thanks
> -vlad

Ok.  I think I see what's happening.  Since you turn off offloads on
lower device, that's propagated to macvlan device.  As a result, when
when we call dev_queue_xmit on the vlan->dev, we end up segmenting since
lower level says it does support segmentation.

One way to fix this is to never disable offloads on macvlan.  macvlan
will always try to use __dev_queue_xmit() with it's lower device, so any
segmentation can happen there.

-vlad