NASA's Commercial Crew Partner Sierra Nevada Delivers Flight Test Vehicle Structure

Feb. 2, 2012

Candrea Thomas
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
candrea.k.thomas@nasa.gov

Cassie Kloberdanz
Sierra Nevada Corp.
720-407-3192
media.ssg@sncorp.com

RELEASE: 12-XXX

NASA'S COMMERCIAL CREW PARTNER SIERRA NEVADA DELIVERS FLIGHT TEST VEHICLE STRUCTURE

LOUISVILLE, Colo. -- One of NASA's industry partners, Sierra Nevada
Corp. (SNC), recently delivered the primary structure of its first
Dream Chaser flight test vehicle to the company's facility in
Louisville, Colo., where it will be assembled and integrated with
secondary systems. This is one of 12 milestones to be completed under
SNC's funded Space Act Agreement (SAA) with NASA's Commercial Crew
Program (CCP).

"It's rewarding to see our partner's ideas and concepts come to
fruition," said CCP Program Manager Ed Mango. "The company's delivery
of its flight structure will allow them to make more strides toward
launching NASA astronauts on American vehicles to the International
Space Station."

The Dream Chaser flight test vehicle, a full-scale prototype of the
company's planned winged spacecraft, will be used to carry out
several remaining NASA Commercial Crew Development Round 2 (CCDev2)
milestones, including a captive carry flight and the first free
flight of the craft.

"SNC is proud to have met its schedule and cost targets in the
delivery of our first flight structure as we continue to make
preparations for our vehicle's first full-scale flight," said Mark
Sirangelo, head of Sierra Nevada Space Systems. "The Dream Chaser
Program is making great strides toward developing a safe and
cost-effective space system that will provide our country with the
capability to safely transport crew and critical cargo to and from
the International Space Station."

The all-composite structure was designed by the SNC team and built in
conjunction with SNC Dream Chaser team organizations AdamWorks of
Centennial, Colo., Applied Composite Technology of Gunnison, Utah,
and Scaled Composites of Mojave, Calif.

"Our team now includes more than a dozen heritage space companies and
seven NASA centers whose combined strength has continued to allow us
to exceed the program's expectations," said Jim Voss, SNC's vice
president for Space Exploration. Voss is a former space shuttle
astronaut and was a member of the second crew to live aboard the
International Space Station.

Dream Chaser's CCDev2 flight tests will be conducted with the
assistance of NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center in Edwards,
Calif., under a Reimbursable Space Act Agreement (RSAA). During the
captive carry test, a Virgin Galactic While Knight 2 carrier aircraft
will drop the Dream Chaser flight test vehicle to measure its
performance. SNC flight operations will be managed by the program's
Director of Flight Operations Steve Lindsey, who joined the Dream
Chaser team in 2011. Lindsey is a veteran of five shuttle missions
and was chief of NASA's Astronaut Office from 2008 until his
retirement from the agency in 2011.

All of NASA's industry partners continue to meet their established
milestones in developing commercial crew transportation capabilities
that will ferry U.S. astronauts to and from the International Space
Station, reducing the amount of time America is without its own
system.

For more information about NASA's Commercial Crew Program, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/commercialcrew

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov