NASA KSC Chief Medical Officer Receives Lifetime Achievement Award

10.21.05

Amber Marek
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 92-05

NASA KSC CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER RECEIVES LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

Dr. Irene Long, NASA Kennedy Space Center's chief medical officer,
recently was one of three women in the agency who were honored at the
Women of Color Technology Awards Conference in Atlanta. She was
presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award.

The conference, celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, attracts
thousands of the nation's top female technologists, executives and
students. The awards recognize contributions made by minority women
in traditionally male-dominated fields.

The Career Communications Group, publisher of Women of Color, U.S.
Black Engineer and Information Technology and Science Spectrum
magazines, hosts the conference, with IBM Corporation as the title
sponsor.

"The encouragement of both of my parents made it possible for me to
achieve my goals, but it was my father who inspired my love for
aviation and space," Long said. "In the 1960s, I watched him soar
through the skies as he took flying lessons in my hometown of
Cleveland, Ohio. In the 1980s, we stood together to watch the space
shuttle launch from Florida on a mission in space. After attaining
his heavenly wings in 2002, I am sure that my father is watching me
from above as I receive this acknowledgement that both of our dreams
have come true."

Long has been at KSC since 1982. She provides executive leadership and
direction, serving as the directorate's interface with center senior
management and organizations to assure support to employee health and
the environment. She provides long-range and strategic planning and
develops related initiatives to assure proactive, preventative
approaches to comprehensive medical and environmental programs.

Long graduated from East High School in Cleveland. She attended
Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., and received a Bachelor of
Arts degree in Pre-medicine/Biology in 1973. She received a Doctor of
Medicine degree from the St. Louis University School of Medicine in
1977. After a two-year general surgery residency at the Cleveland
Clinic and the Mount Sinai Hospital of Cleveland, she completed a
three-year residency in aerospace medicine through Wright State
University School of Medicine in Dayton, Ohio. Long received a Master
of Science degree in Aerospace Medicine.

Long is a member of the Aerospace Medical Association and its
affiliated Space Medicine Branch, and the Society of NASA Flight
Surgeons. She received the Society Presidential Award in 1995, and
served as its president in 1999. She received the Equal Opportunity
Action Committee Group Achievement Award in 1986, along with the KSC
Federal Woman of the Year Award. In 1998, she was presented with the
Women in Aerospace Outstanding Achievement Award. A native of
Cleveland, Long lives on Merritt Island, Fla.

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov