Re: [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review

On 12 April 2012 09:49, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> A revert is the same as a patch.  It needs to be in Linus's tree before
>> I can add it to the stable releases.
>
> Right, because otherwise people's systems would actually work.
>
> But hey, as I said, following rules is more important, regardless of
> what the rules are, and why they are there. The rules that actually
> triggered this issue in v3.3.1, as this is not in v3.3.
>
> You could just accept that the patch should have never landed in
> v3.3.1 in the first place, but it's much easier to arbitrarily keep
> stacking patches without thinking too much about them.

Greg is doing the right thing here. We face the same deal in FreeBSD -
people want fixes to go into a release branch first, but if you do
that you break the development flow - which is "stuff goes into -HEAD
and is then backported to the release branches."

If you don't do this, you risk having people do (more, all)
development and testing on a release branch and never test -HEAD (or
"upstream linux" here). Once you open that particular flood gate, it's
hard to close.

We had this problem with Squid. People ran and developed on Squid-2.4.
The head version of Squid-2 was stable, but that isn't what people ran
in production. They wanted features and bugfixes against Squid-2.2,
squid-2.4, and not Squid-2.STABLE (which at the time was
Squid-2.6/Sqiud-2.7.) That .. didn't work. Things diverged quite
quickly and it got very ugly.

So I applaud Greg for sticking to correct stable release engineering
here. We over in the BSD world know just how painful that is. :)

Adrian