Re: Plasma-desktop becoming very slow

Stephan Diestelhorst posted on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 09:25:23 +0200 as
excerpted:

>   after leaving my system running for a while with virtuoso-t eating
> some CPU, virtuoso-t eventually finishes and everything is fine.
>
> However, although the CPU load stays very low, plasma-desktop is *very*
> slow.  Clicking on the virtual desktops in the bar will switch the
> desktop after sevaral minutes(!), and the list of windows is not really
> updated.  Also, Alt + F2 takes approx. 45 secs to open the krunner
> dialog.
>
> Switching desktops with Ctrl + F1 is fast and the respective
> applications work fine, too.
>
> This is on Kubuntu 11.10 with KDE 4.8.2.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

How I fixed the general problem honestly isn't going to be easy for
people running most binary distros, tho you can try part of it and see if
only that part works.

I run gentoo, which is a scripted build-from-sources distro that
emphasizes giving the local system admin the choice to turn build-time
optional features on or off as desired, via what they call USE flags.
Here, I turned the semantic-desktop USE flag off, rebuilt the various
parts of kde depending on it (and switched to something else for anything
kdepim related as that all depends on akonadi, which in turn depends on
semantic-desktop, so kmail replaced with claws-mail, etc), and uninstalled
all the semantic-desktop related components, including nepomuk, virtuoso,
redland, rasqal, etc.

KDE was *MUCH* faster and more responsive after that, here, and a couple
other folks have tried it too, and found kde faster for them too, tho at
least the one said it wasn't as dramatically so for him as it was for me.

The half-way alternative that you can try without having to do your own
builds is simply turning off as much of semantic-desktop as you can.
Here, that helped some, but not as much as building entirely without it
and uninstalling the various no longer needed components.

Since I did this back with early 4.7, I don't know how much of the
controls have changed since then, but in kde system settings there should
be an option to either simply disable indexing (or tell strigi to not
index certain directories while leaving it on, YMMV), or to turn off
nepomuk entirely.  Do note that if you run kmail or anything else using
akonadi, turning off nepomuk turns off some functionality there, too.

As I said, for me, turning that off helped some, but not as much as
building entirely without it, which isn't an easy option for binary-distro
folks.  But you can try it and see if it helps.

As for krunner, you can click the wrench icon there, and turn off various
of its addons.  Look for options like searching in mail, etc, that are
semantic-desktop related.  It's likely that one of them is eating the
krunner cycles, and turning it off, once you find the option doing it,
should speed up krunner dramatically, entirely separate from turning of
nepomuk, etc, above.  (There was a bug in one of those krunner addons
some kde versions ago and turning off one of the krunner addons was a
suggested workaround, but that was 4.6 era and I don't recall which one
it was, except that searching in mail seems to ring a bell so that might
be it.  I turned off several I didn't need, including that one, and it
/was/ faster, so it was a good suggestion for me. =:^)