KAddressbook Spawning Tags

Greetings.

I am using a stock standard Kubuntu set-up (precise).  My KAddressbook hold
about 800 contacts.  The problem is that it is spawning hundreds and hundreds
of empty tags and tags in this format:

nemopuk:/res/ (some alphanumeric string)

To add a tag to a new contact takes 20 seconds for the dialog to open and to
delete just one of them takes at least 15 seconds.

Now I also find that although I delete a tag assigned to a contact, that
contact still shows up in searches using the previously assigned tag althoug
nothing shows on the screen.  That is annoying at the very least.

I can't work like this.  Is there perhaps a way to delete all the duplicate
tags in one go?

--
Regards,
Lex