Re: Playing around with Kubuntu 12.04 beta

Am Sonntag, 8. April 2012, 21:45:18 schrieb Duncan:

> Hans Muecke posted on Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:27:33 -0500 as excerpted:
> > Installed Kubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta on one of my machines (Asus EeePC) to
> > get some ideas about the look and feel.
> > Instzalled everything ... configured the desktop like I want it to have
> > it. System said it needed to reboot. Did that and after the next login I
> > ended up with this:
> >
> > http://goo.gl/qBLSG (sorry for the tilted pic)
> >
> > Whatever I knew about changing the desktop looks I tried ... to no
> > avail. I don't get the classic desktop back. Any hints are much
> > appreciated, since to me personally it is not usable.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Ahhh, OK.  I'd guess the install detected your screen size/resolution and
> decided you were on a netbook, so it gave you the plasma-netbook shell (a
> different executable) instead of the plasma-desktop shell.
>
> The fix is easy enough.  KDE settings (whatever they're called in
> kubuntu, systemsettings is what they're called as kde ships, despite the
> fact that most of the settings are kde- and user-specific and thus have
> little or nothing to do with SYSTEM settings, but I guess some distros do
> actually add /system/ settings modules to it as well), workspace
> appearance and behavior, workspace behavior, workspace.  Then switch the
> workspace type to desktop (it probably says netbook ATM) and apply.

Thanks for the response! Checked with the settings and I could choose between
"Air", "Air for netbooks" and Qxygen". Tried both "Air" and "Oxygen" but
didn't get the classic desktop. It now looks like this:

http://goo.gl/13JKy

Still not what I want and might never like it although it is more usable to me
(am old fashioned ... I like my icons on the desktop).

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (151 to go)

2012/04/09 07:50
EDDS 090750Z 19008KT 9999 -RA FEW010 SCT020 BKN040 03/00 Q1010 TEMPO 4000
BKN012