JPL High School Student Summer Internship Program
Application Deadline Friday, March 13 (firm)
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory Summer High School Internship Program (JPL SpaceSHIP) is an 8-week internship designed for high school students, age 16 or older, who have demonstrated a strong interest in and aptitude for science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics (STEM). Located in Pasadena, California, JPL is the leading NASA Center for robotic exploration of the solar system. More information about JPL can be found at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov.
Students participating in JPL SpaceSHIP are provided an opportunity to do research and expand their computer skills. JPL SpaceSHIP students are mentored by NASA's top science and engineering professionals actively involved with research and flight projects. Students in the program will earn a stipend for services.
* Students must be U.S. citizens
* All participants must be at least 16 years old at the time of participation (June 22, 2009)
* With the exception of the letters of recommendation, this application must be completed by the student and represent the student's own work
* Student's home address must lie within a 50 mile radius of JPL's Oak Grove facility (4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109-8009); student’s permanent residence (not a summer residence, family member or other accommodation) must be within 50 miles.
* All applicants must have a 3.0 GPA or above based on a 4.0 scale
* Student application must provide evidence of interest in and aptitude for science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics
* Finalists will be interviewed prior to selection. Selected students are responsible for their own transportation to and from JPL and if under the age of 18, must provide a work permit.
* Program Duration: 8 weeks (June 22 - August 14, 2009)
* Student participation is required for the entire duration of the internship
* Stipend $3,000 per internship (taxable)
All internship activities take place at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California unless otherwise specified. If there will be an off-site field trip, interns and their parents/guardians will be notified in advance.
Complete the on-line application by 11:59PM PST March 13, 2009: http://jplspaceship.jpl.nasa.gov/
Please note that all the online and hardcopy application elements are required.
Students will be notified 6-8 weeks after deadline.